View Single Post
      11-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Several possibilities, but you’ll want someone local to confirm these (I used to live there but am just north of you now).

Corona Del Mar state beach (Big Corona or Little Corona) and the tide pools between are good. January weather could be cool/rainy but a walk out the jetty is fun.

On the other side of the harbor, Newport Beach is long, has a pier, body surfing is excellent. Plenty of good food options.

A walk on the main drag in Balboa Island is good for tourist shopping, quieter in winter of course.

Might get a sail boat ride, or take a 1/2 day fishing charter, or go to Catalina on the ferry, or perhaps whale watching (if in season, don’t recall).

Inland there used to be some great trails and hikes around Saddleback Mountain and some nearby parks. Can’t recall the names etc so def ask around. Ortega Hwy used to be a great drive if you have fun wheels, but again things have changed so reconfirm.

I don’t know if Knotts Berry Farm is still operating - also a good Disney-lite park.

Some people like the high-end shops in Fashion Island. Personally I don’t care one way or another, but outdoor mall very nice and all that. Free time killer I suppose.

Drive down to Laguna Beach which is a great beach spot. Also if a weekend ask about Cars n Coffee. Last location I heard was where I-5 and I-405 meet (the Triangle) but it may have moved. If you can’t make it there to see the exotics, go to the Starbucks on Pacific Coast Hwy near MacArthur (is it at Carnation), before 8AM, grab a coffee and sit outside. Lots will drive by. Can go a little later on a Saturday morning.

Lots of similar stuff in Huntington Beach, just don’t know it as well.

Observe while there that you are in an irrigated desert. The whole place is in essence an extension of Disney, with planting, irrigation, design and vehicles that are something of a fantasy given the real topography, soils and climate there.
Appreciate 2
thegump73.50