View Single Post
      07-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #35
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
My father in law and I still take out his Model A's (roughly late 1920's), we are welcome to drive them up to the speed limit (reality is to their top speed), they have no seat belts, horrible brakes, horrible tires, no air bags, no crash protection, no traction control, etc. If someone pulls in front of us we will hit them and the odds of being killed are massively greater than with a current car, and the modern car would go around the car or stop. The safest thing for us and the people around us would be to ban these cars but it has never even been considered. If we run into someone because we can't get around them or stop but we weren't drunk, driving too fast, etc. we might get a ticket but can probably take out a different Model T tomorrow.
I still own a 53 F-100, which I had since I was 16, the reason I removed it from the road was the fact that all the other cars on the road could stop way faster than 4000 lb truck with drum manual brakes. The only positive part was knowing if I did hit someone they would be dead since the truck was all steel and their cars was plastic and light sheet metal and most likely I would survive with all the steel around me.

This is a project vehicle for me, I am going to replace all the mechanicals with modern day tech like big rotors and 6 pistons calipers, long with other newer stuff, it just will not have ABS since no aftermarket stuff exists. This is the only way this truck will get back on the road.
Appreciate 0