JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Uber isn't shy about the fact they want to use autonomous vehicles negating the need for drivers, thereby significantly cutting costs. This is only part of their master plan. They have also stated their dream is private vehicle ownership should no longer exist, with every vehicle on the road being an Uber vehicle that people summon when they need transportation.

I would be okay with autonomous vehicles on the road for those who don't want to drive, or can't pass their driving test which should be more stringent anyway, allowing the rest of us to enjoy our privilege of driving. Like others have stated, I fear at some point autonomous driving will be forced upon us in the name of safety and efficiency.

On a related though slightly off topic note, I really do wonder how society will adapt to the rapid loss of jobs brought on by automation. I know that it is usually said with the progression of technology, new jobs are created to support said technology which typically requires higher education. If all of the low skill and menial jobs are eventually replaced by automation, what will that low skill workforce do to support themselves? They won't all have the ability to transition into higher skilled positions.