sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw M3 View Post
For certain industries, it's a game changer. It's my opinion self-driving cars are the real reason behind Uber's enormous valuation. Think about it, their greatest "cost" or in their case, their greatest outflow of revenue is the drivers. If they can eliminate the drivers, think of what their margins will be!

Another area is trucking (big game for Volvo and MB), eliminate truckers and the cost savings that trickles through the economy will be great. UPS, DHL, FedEx will see huge profit gains too. Just think how much of the cost of goods we purchase have transportation fees baked in... it has to trickle down no?

People won't feel comfortable with self-driving taxis and trucks unless it's baked into passenger cars as well. It's a mental thing -- oh, my car has it and I sometimes use it so it's not bad.

Personally, I love driving yet there is ONE scenario I wouldn't mind engaging auto-pilot for and that's rush hour traffic. In that instance, I wouldn't mind letting the car do the bumper-to-bumper stuff and I could relax.

Now one thing to consider -- what if autopilot eliminated the pesky, irrational behaviors of other drivers? You know, the left-lane hugging, change lanes without signaling, right-on-red w/out full stop moves that have us all banging our heads on steering wheels?

That list could go on and on... but you get the idea
Thanks for the comments

I totally get the first BOLDED area above. Completely makes sense. However the second bolded area regarding passenger cars is the one that I understand but think can be solved by addressing one major root causes: inattentive drivers (usually attributed to texting, doing makeup, kids in the car or just generally absent mindedness). Curious to see what it would look like to employ more stringent ongoing license testing requirements (such as requiring a special license endorsement to use the left lane) and more enforceable laws around these areas would help address this inattentiveness?? Those are just two quick ideas, albeit not perfect, but they sure as hell seem like they would be 1,000 times easier to implement than the complexities of autonomous vehicles being the solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
I have a big problem with it, and that problem is this: when self-driving technology becomes reliable, widespread and proven, it will eventually be illegal to drive your own vehicle. You'll need a special license to drive without autopilot, assuming that it could even be switched off in everyday vehicles. Oh, I can hear it now. "You don't need to drive. Why would you need to drive? The car does it for you. The car is a better driver than you are. By driving your own car you put your life and everyone else's lives at risk."

Now, the main reason for me not wanting this is admittedly selfish; I like driving my own car. But what about police cars? Ambulances? What if your kid gets hurt and you need to break every traffic law to get them to the emergency room? Extreme examples, but examples nonetheless.
Agreed, and I think that the biggest fear is the taking away of our freedom (to drive). In reality I don't think that this would ever be the reality (I hope), but it would be more of hybrid of the two... still allowing regular vehicles and then perhaps a lane for self-driving vehicles.
Appreciate 0