View Single Post
      02-02-2016, 03:33 AM   #6
tobycoombes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 2.0i

One quick update - I was looking through the BMW web site for some prices and I was trying to find the cost of a rear bike carrier.

On the X1 factory options list you can have for £600 "Towbar, detachable" but for £160 "Bike Rack Preparation".

Now my dealer told me that I needed both of these options to be able to have the bike rack on the back of the car - hence I said "No way!" as this with the cost of the rack itself made it a £1k option. But having looked at it this morning, I 'think' you only need to have the £160 "Bike Rack Preparation" to have ability to mount the bike rack.

It reads as though it gives you a towbar fitting but that it doesn't have the capacity to pull anything big, simply take the weight of the bike rack and the bikes. If I had known this to be the case then I certainly would have added this option - but I think I got the wrong info from the dealer on this one.

Has anyone added this option, or does anyone know the correct answer to what options you need to have the rear bike rack?
Appreciate 0