View Single Post
      08-17-2021, 12:56 PM   #30
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
As a newb who one day (maybe when I'm retired at this point) is interested in building a pizza oven (or in some manner acquiring one) - I always had it in my head that the wood would be below a layer of stone heating it up and the pizza would go on this stone.

I see this is not the case from your pictures - interesting. So the fire is tucked away in the corner then, and it creates enough heat to get the stones hot enough to cook the dough then?

Do you put the dough right on the stones (looks like it) or use a pan? I would have wondered about the sanitary aspects of cooking right on the stone, even though I suppose it would be hot? So many things I'm learning from these pictures.

Mostly how much I love pizza though.

Place by me uses three day cold risen dough and it is far and away a better dough than any of the other chains.
Yes, the fire is on the deck, generally you build the fire in the middle and then push it back or to the side (depending on what you are doing). I usually budget about 1:45 to get the oven up to temp, I like the deck to be between close to 600 degrees (or more), the dome will be around 1000, for a long cook/party you may need to add a small log, but it stays plenty hot in there, if it doesn’t you can rake the fire back to the middle to heat it up again.

I also do a 3 day cold bulk ferment, unless I’m making sourdough crust.
Appreciate 1
Joekerr7926.00