05-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #32
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Thanks but the concept of renting a watch is very new to me. I never knew you could do that but in general, i'm very against renting ie lease cars or house rental. I'd rather be more picky with my purchases and minimize my loses by buying used or choosing not to get it at all if depreciation is extreme.

I'm new to this watch game so bare with me. I really like the Lebrons but it seems that i love cars a lot more than I do with what's on a wrist. At the end, I don't think I'm a watch wearer or will I ever in the future regardless of the cost/value of the watch. Just don't like accessories on my body ie rings, watches, necklaces, earrings etc. I'm married and I rarely even wear my wedding ring but these two weeks researching/learning about watches have given me a more rounded idea of what timepieces are all about.
That's perfectly reasonable as well as understandable. I think no matter how nice a watch be, if one doesn't like wearing "stuff," none of them will be "nice enough." Nothing wrong with that.

FWIW:
I avoid depreciation issues with my "stuff" using one of two strategies, depending on the item:
  • Keep it for the entirety of its useful life. I do that with cars. The last one I got rid of I kept for 14 years. It wasn't broke; I didn't "fix" (replace) it. I got rid of it largely because I just wanted something different.
  • Keep it forever. That's what I do with watches, entertainment equipment, and a host of other stuff (furniture, silverware, art, clothing/shoes -- I work out too, so my body size doesn't change much, and damn near anything else that isn't broken/worn out -- regardless of what I pay for them.
About the only class of goods for which those approaches hasn't worked is computers and cell phones. To some extent televisions fall into that category, although I still have a few CRT televisions in my vacation homes.

Call it what you will. I simply describe it as my being cheap. LOL

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 1