View Single Post
      01-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #769
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
I'd argue no longer unique with the core components of an M, such as a closed deck block, air-to-water intercooler and mechanical water pump (key cooling components), and a locking differential... all lacking in any E90, F30, etc. It also has performance brake calipers, and stiffer track rated suspension... in which most M aficionados upgrade those variable parts anyways. Its not like with an M you're getting a Porsche GT3 or a McLaren out of the box and saying "well I can't do anything or it's moot to upgrade this car anyways..."

As we are constantly repeating ourselves. To finally end this thread and debate: you and I are both sitting in the BMW Welt boardroom over in Munich. Harald Krueger and Markus Flasch look over to us and say "Gentlemen, we need a car name or a moniker for the capable G20 B58 to compete with our chief rivals Mercedes' C43 and Audi's S division" ...to that you say what?
Is the Audi S line the "lite" RS version? It definitely has bits and pieces.
Is the C43 AMG the "lite" version of the AMG (C63, etc...)
All marketing stuff. THe poster above clearly laid out what makes M an M -- unique chasis setup (F80 vs F30, G80 vs G20...), different ENGINE (B58 vs S58 that is across G8x lines with a different tune options), same calipers, different brakes, M-differential, M-transmission (manual and Auto, both different from G20), and much more.
Appreciate 0