View Single Post
      02-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #62
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Sweet. That's my take too. Buy a car that's already stateside that you can inspect and drive. Works less well if you are looking for something rare and/or very specific, though

I was thinking of an R32 or a mint FD RX7...
There's a certain allure to the story of finding that mint car over in Japan and bringing it over here. The reality of it, unfortunately, is that rust and abuse is a real problem. You can find a ton of folks willing to "source" your perfect car for you, but how successful they will be is a crap shoot. You'll likely pay a bit more to just get one that's already landed. And for you, being in Florida, you'll pay another $1500 to get it shipped out there.

I don't know anyone on the East Coast who does importing (A quick Google search will certainly find some for you) and the guys I'm going with do strictly vans. If you get serious and want a starting point, you can talk to Adam at SODO Moto here in Seattle: http://sodo-moto.com/

I've never purchased from him but I know a few folks who have and they had a fine experience. I've spoken with him a couple times by phone and he's a friendly and helpful guy. Keep an eye on his "Incoming Inventory" page. I'm always happy to run down there and look at a car for you. It's 20 minutes from my house and 2 minutes from my favorite breakfast spot, so, win-win.
Appreciate 0