ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
I have 59 panels and 40kw backup battery, about $135k worth

at peak I can generate about 14kw with the panels and of course depending on the month, I run a credit in March/April/Oct/Nov/Dec and still have to pay on the other months due to hard running AC units or hard running heater/pool pumps.

My wifes prior EV cost us about 150 per month added onto our bill and she drives about 20k per year, we pay 8 cents per kw so it's definitely cheaper than the 75 per week or so for gasoline but by no means does our, what I feel like is a large solar system, cover the cost of the house plus a car, much less if we had two of them.

the battery backup will last for 30 hrs off grid during the credit months but if the pool pumps are running and the solar panels are covered in snow, 5-7 hrs is all I get.

Solar/battery backup/EV situation is no where near being a replacement solution for gas cars, even personal/residential use only. not even close.
I'm sorry, WHAT?!

Holy hell man. I installed my own system with a size of 13.86 kw with 42 panels for 16k.

I'm on net metering so I don't need battery as our grid is not currently, or in the near future, at any risk.

I'm producing 80kwh a day with full sun. I only got it up and running last September but it's looking like I'll be producing excess from March to October. Winter I still had a bill, but I was also mining cryptocurrency at ~40kwh a day (which I have now discontinued)

Last edited by ga9213; 05-17-2022 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0