02-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #19
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
It's called the homestead exemption. Make SURE you apply for it when you do end up buying a home, it's not something that's done automatically by the state and it will save you quite a bit on real estate taxes.

Good luck with your move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
That is trivial compared to the state income tax advantage, if managed well.
We would do homestead exemption. Did the same with a house I sold here in the Atlanta area.

Lack of income tax is a big kicker for me. Comparing my existing job with the new one with its perks, taxes, etc., I'll be bringing home about 20% more than I currently do. Then I tack on the salary increase. Then I look at the lower cost of living compared to living in the city here in Atlanta. Then I plop the cherry that is a better work/life balance on top. I would love to hear more of how to play the cards right and make the most of the situation financially, though!

That aside, I am also genuinely interested in a new company. This is ultimately what drove my decision...to find somewhere else to work. I got a three for one deal in that I get the new company, new field, and new place to live. It is a global company that would allow me to move just about anywhere I would want; we chose Tallahassee to be still close to family, and the manager for this region seems to be more in tune with my personal ambitions. It's a situation that works for me and puts me in a direction I'd much rather be in (hopefully). I'm doing well where I currently am, but I feel it's a good time to roll the dice.

Justification for the move removed, if anyone has any advice specific to the area and any ideals that should be considered when moving to a state with different tax laws, I'm all ears! We certainly want to make the most of the situation.
Appreciate 1