View Single Post
      07-31-2017, 03:28 AM   #103
F1zbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcon View Post
Thanks brother. Always have appreciated the mechanical nature of automatic watch movements and the value many higher end watches maintain make them a good investment piece with relatively low depreciation (some actually appreciate in value) that I can enjoy as a daily wear item. I surf with them, paint the house, work in the garden....in fact the only time I take a watch off is when I'm wrenching on one of the cars as things tend to get stuck when working in tight spaces. Even then, I just place them on the tool bench until I'm done. Now if Rolex would only make the 116710 with the Pepsi bezel in stainless steel and not white gold I would be in heaven. Cannot justify (or afford) a $30K+ watch but I still do want it
Same story here.
Ther is something quite fantastic about mechanical watches.
From a rational point of view there is no need for them at this time and age but i find the mechanics fascinating.

Movements with very complicated and old engineering with all the small cogs, wheels and springs and yet it can have such a a fantastic precision.

I have the same approach as you to my watches

Since i started collecting and trading I have not lost any money as the appreciation of some watches has been greater than depreciations and running costs of the other watches.

A steel Pepsi GMT 2 would b nice but I doubt Rolex will go that way.
I wish they would but I don’t think it’s very likely.

On a personal note I am not a huge fan of the maxi cases even though the 116710 has somewhat narrower lugs than the recent submariners.

I did own a 116710 but sold it and went for the ceramic Sea Dweller which has the narrower case that I prefer.
It is however a bit too tall and does not sit as nice and flat on the wrist as the 116710...
Still a nice watch, and now collectible since it’s been discontinued.

I also have a white Explorer 2 16570 which is one of my favorites to wear, despite the somewhat inferior build quality compared to the newer references.

It’s a fun and, if you play your cards right, an inexpensive hobby if you are not counting having your money tied up in the watches
Appreciate 1
Transcon158.00