View Single Post
      01-14-2024, 10:32 AM   #6
DJ Syxx
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

So before fitting this on a little accident occured but was a blessing disguise. A coolant hose that feeds both banks suffered a failure. Apparently a common problem on the N62 with the Y piece failing. You can see the coolant leaking:

Removed and you can see the brittle plastic has snapped:

New coolant pipe ordered original part number is 17127519254. I bought a febi bilstein item which fitted fine and was much cheaper:

Fitted:

Pressure breather hose fitted and being a genuine item fitted like a glove:

New intake manifold gaskets:

Fitted:

Intake manifold was cleaned and prepared for fitting back in the car:

New DISA motor from BMW. This part is very expensive and even with my favourable discount from a family member it came in just under £300! Part number is 11617505805.

Fitted:

Fitting the intake manifold back in by yourself is difficult. However, a trusty 2 by 4 came handy as a helper. I simply placed it in the centre, dropped the manifold down to rest so I could line it up with the mounting holes, tilted it up and carefully lowered it down and it was fully seated in place.

Then it was a case of bolting down the ten 11mm nuts torqued to 17.5nm, connecting all the wiring plugs back in the right place etc. Some of you watch Streten on M539 restorations. He has put together his Alpina back together and that particular engine shares the same intake manifold. He had a helpful tip with regards to fitting the injectors back into the intake manifold which I found useful and that was using vaseline. So I used some vaseline to insert the injectors back in which worked a treat.

I got a new gasket for the throttle body and gave that a clean as well for good measure:

Gasket:

Cleaned up:

And she's back together:

After connecting the battery back I gave it a few times for the fuel pump to prime, gave it a start and silly me, didn't properly connect the fuel hose. After a brief booboo and throwing away about £3 worth of super unleaded and clipping it in properly, I gave it another crank and it started up without much fuss!

On first impressions already, the idle is smoother and quick blip on the throttle seems to rev a bit more freely. Most importantly, no more error codes from the DISA motor now. Next stage will be to getting the car back on the ground and taking it out for a good drive. It will be interesting to see how it performs as it should respond a whole lot better.

Vid of her running and thank you for reading.
[MEDIA=youtube]NWhnO3Mn55I[/MEDIA]
Appreciate 0