View Single Post
      03-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #84
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
There is an interesting variation in attitudes that maybe reflects the posters own reason for owning an expensive designer watch.
No doubt the reason for buying a fake watch (and a Rolex in particular) for many is to infer a state of wealth that they do not have.
Just as the reason for buying a real Rolex for many is simply to flaunt their wealth by owning the most obvious designer brand. I wonder if the more outspoken anti fakes are from this category.
Anyway at the other end of the scale in both camps are the watch enthusiasts for whom its nothing to do with the money, but all about the watches.
At the replica watch site I noted earlier (http://www.replica-watch.info/) there is an incredible level of knowledge and enthusiasm for watches of all sorts. I guess if you have a passion for watches (I don't) but not the money to indulge it, what else can you do?
Yes, there are people that buy a Rolex as a status symbol. Like all luxury goods, including cars, they are aspirational purchases. People dream and work to be able to afford them. At the same time, there are plenty that buy into the brand because of the horological significance. Their movements are arguably the most reliable mechanical movements and the Oyster design is nearly 90 years old.

There is no such thing as a replica enthusiast. They are posers, period. It's like saying someone is a collector of Van Gough reproductions. There is nothing collectable and there is nothing to be passionate about here.

There are plenty of watch enthusiast that don't have money to buy the big names and there are plenty of watches that allow you to enjoy mechanical movements without buying counterfeits.

Coming from a car forum, specifically an M3 forum, I don't understand how there can possible be a disconnect here. What if China started producing a car and called it a BMW M3 but sold it for 10% of the MSRP of a real BMW? To 99% of the world, they are indistinguishable - Would you buy it?
Appreciate 0