View Single Post
      05-16-2023, 01:43 PM   #50
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

After 6 months of ownership, the Cayman's power delivery, handling, and ride quality has made me realize the following:

1) I really appreciate naturally aspirated motor throttle response. I didn't realize how bad the turbo lag is in my modded M235 and how different the power delivery is between the two cars. The Cayman's response is immediate assuming you're in a useable rpm. The M235 has a momentary delay and then shoves and builds and builds smoothly and strongly, like riding a really good wave.

2) The Cayman really lacks power below 4500rpms and the long gearing makes it worse. When hustling the car through tight corners and hitting the apex in the 3000-4000rpm range in 2nd and 3rd, the motor feels weak for a few seconds as it seeks it's powerband. The Sprint Booster I added does help things a lot though.

3) From 5000-7400rpms, the Cayman screams and pulls surprisingly hard for an NA 2.9 H6. The long gearing is designed to put you in the powerband only when shifting at redline. It clearly has some big cams that trade low end power for higher rpm pull, much like a bigger displacement old school Honda motor.

4) My M235 handles quite well for a street car (has some mild suspension work and a 245/35R18 MP4S setup), but is a joke compared to the Cayman in terms of composure and grip. It makes me want a 2017-2018 M2 even more so now which will eventually replace the M235.

5) The current gen Pirelli PZero rubber is absolute garbage. Maybe it's because they Porsche N rated tires, but they ride extremely hard, "ping" on pavement cuts, and create a graininess/hum through the chassis above 30mph that gets worse as they wear. The rear tires will be done in 10K miles. I wish the selling dealer would have left the old tires on and gave me a $1000 credit for new tires. Can't wait for them to die and get the MP4S.