View Single Post
      05-01-2019, 09:46 PM   #89
zx10guy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Not for Profit is a term that comes from the Internal Revenue Code. Business profits are taxed, so not for profit actually means not for paying taxes. 501(c) of the tax code limits the kinds of businesses that can use this status, but using it does not make them a charity, or “good” in any sense of the word.

Being profitable and publicly traded provides liquidity, equity and financial foundation to operate, ensuring claims can be paid as they come due. NfP status makes it much harder to raise the equity and liquidity. There are mutual insurance companies (owned by their members, who are also policyholders), which you could choose (not sure if there are mutual health insurers or just life, property and other coverages).
Show me an health insurance company that actually diverts profits to provide better claims pay outs for their insureds?

I've already seen first hand how claims have been handled by an insurance company with a totally unqualified doctor used to review one of my claims. I also have had the experience of having a drug be denied coverage by my insurance company when my doctor said it was the customary drug used to treat my condition of H. Pylori. My GI doc was so upset he rounded up enough drug samples in his office to give to me free of charge to get me through the treatment.

If you spend any time on any of the cancer support forums, you'll see regular posts of people fighting their insurance companies to cover procedures and scans deemed necessary by their doctors. Speaking of which, I was also denied a specific cardiac MRI scan due to a confirmed dilation of the aortic root of my heart. My insurance company said the CT scan I had for my cancer follow up was enough and the MRI was not necessary.