03-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #23
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBeard View Post
Having no taxes is a double sword - government with no money to have road repairs and so on. You can tell what states are broke just driving by. Balance is the key, weather included. However, you can't have only good things, so it's a compromise one way or the other.
I personally avoid big cities (too much stress) and would gladly live in a colder state if other life aspects are good. Also, lived in a year round warm weather and it gets boring quickly. Nothing can beat a 4 seasons climate zone
As noted in post above, no state income taxes are possible due to taxes paid by tourists (hotel and sales tax) not elimination of basic services. Roads aren't bad here at all compared to other parts of the country.

For OP, FL has worked for me since mid-1980s. Moved from New England for college and never went back. Like anywhere, there are pluses and minuses of living here (winters are the best, summers not so much, including possibility of storms). I think you need to figure out your highest priorities for the move and narrow down based on those. Too many people will have opinions based on their own priorities to be very helpful.