03-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
That was a very interesting read. The jist of it seems to be that remaps are preferable to tuning boxes because they work directly with the ECU as opposed to tricking the ECU, and therefore put less strain on the engine, injectors, and other supporting engine components. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable can chime in and make sure I'm getting it right.

In any case, there are only 2 things holding me back from getting a JBD. One is I don't want to risk anything with my warranty. And the other is concern about long term reliability. Many people are running the JBD and are very satisfied, but what worries me is what will happen after 50,000 or more miles of running the car at a greater-than-factory power levels. Perhaps that's not as much of an issue for someone who's on a lease and planning on changing out of the car in a few years, but I plan (and hope) to keep mine for a very long time.
I don't claim to be more knowledgable then you, but in a nut-shell your observations are correct. Although a remap would be more desirable IMO, I believe this to be relatively benign way to increase power in your diesel.

I believe the repracutions/risks of using the JBD are lower then the gas juice box variant. Diesel tune boxes place extra load on the high pressure fuel pump and your concerns about long term reliability as it relates to these added stresses are valid. That said, there are tolerances built into the various mechanical components, now whether or not the JBD exceeds those tolerances I don't know. I would venture to guess that one would be well within those tolerances at the base setting.
Appreciate 0