09-04-2019, 05:38 AM   #134
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Funny how living below your means, paying yourself first in the form of appropriate savings plans, and investing wisely and for the long term seems to work out so well, isn't it? Almost like we made a plan for our money, isn't it?

Boring when it comes to finances isn't a bad thing.

But of course what would you and I know? Besides, I'm just a cheap accountant who bought himself a Ferrari for cash at age 42.

Rock on, man!

What was it that Dave Ramsey always used to say? Live for a while like no one else does, and later - you can live like no one else does? Something like that.

I also like "Don't be normal, normal people are broke."

It makes a huge difference to me in regards to enjoyment of life. When my daughter started college, she had plenty of scholarships that paid for about 80% of everything.

But it was nice to be able to pay the remainder up front each year without wondering what changes we would have to make in our budget to accommodate it.

I think one of the biggest things that works for us is that we still budget our household on what we made 15 years ago. As we got raises, we deferred them to our retirement or to savings. So we lived on about 60% of our current income for a long time. While my co-workers were buying huge houses, we settled down in something that fit our needs and no one else.

Then we just added upgrades along the years as we wanted to. Now that we are "empty nesters", my wife wants to make one more move. Our property value has been going up steadily, but they developed a couple of new streets behind us in the last year...so my property value really took off.

And as I had mentioned in another thread, we had a good friend that I had worked with for the last 20 years leave our company. He would get me into new places, or I would do the same for him.

But that places me next in line here for one of the VP Roles. I sat down with my boss a few weeks before I went on vacation, and laid out everything I/My group had done for the company. I was at the point where I didn't care anymore...and went for broke. It kind of spooked him as my friend who left was very valuable here. And he knows that I can go over to were he is at because it's a company we had worked at before.

Anyways, he told me he didn't want to lose me...so by the end of next week I find out what's going to happen. If things go Like I would like, it would make me the youngest VP in the company and comes with an increase of about 35% in pay.

And if that happens...it won't change anything. I will still live the same way I am now and treat it like I didn't even see an increase in pay. The extra cash will be going into one of our accounts for retirement.