View Single Post
      02-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #42
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
What are your thoughts on KDSS? Professor Google tells me it is most noticeable on the road which is where the majority of its time will be spent. Do you feel it is worth checking the expensive box?
I can go either way on it. I haven't driven a 4runner with the option, but like you noted, most say it helps greatly with on-road driving, particularly body lean in turns. The KDSS system can be pricey to fix, but overall, it's still a reliable and simple system. It can complicate things if you were to ever do suspension mods. The $500 Bilstein shock setup I'll add soon will remove some of the sway/lean and the initial nose dive on braking. The shocks give the 4runner a more controlled and refined ride plus they lift the front an inch to level out the truck and make it match the ride height of the Pro.

Quote:
I find the negatives of not having a lot of the features becoming a positive in the long run (and is a reason why they are so successful). If I am purchasing to hold for a long period, less can prove to be more. Seeing that the new ones offer some safety features is actually a bit of a downfall for me, but I do like the addition of a nicer infotainment with AA and Carplay integration. That said, a $500 headunit can take care of that on an older one...
I'm with you that fewer features can be a positive. I find the lack of auto climate control the most annoying lacking feature. The Pros come with auto climate control. My wife doesn't care at all though.

With the exception of radar cruise control, we have all the Safety Sense features turned off.

The 2020+ headunit is a huge step improvement over the prior systems, but like you noted, a new aftermarket headunit will be fine too. Probably the biggest advantage of getting a 2020+ 4runner is that the headunit controls are in the steering wheels and broadcast to instrument cluster. A $500 set of OEM+ speakers go a long way in fixing the sound quality of the stock system.

I think the 4runner is a great truck, but I am left to wonder why Toyota simply didn't throw an extra $100 into the ORP to give you memory seats, auto headlights, auto climate control, and one tap/3 flash turn signals. It seems so freaking easy, would update the truck, and are parts used on other Toyotas and in some cases, are standard features on the most basic of Toyotas. At $50K, the Pro is woefully overpriced. I even think $45K for what we've spent on our Pro-wanna-be is pushing it for the features/amenities you get. No vehicle is perfect though.