View Single Post
      12-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #71
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMan View Post
Just watched this. I like Doug, but he missed a lot of key points on this car. For those that didn't know, the SMG car is what the engine was originally built around. It is a great transmission for what it is. The failures of SMG components were mainly due to heat exposure. I had ZERO issues with my SMG. Shifting at redline with the tranny in S6 mode was one of the most emotionally satisfying things about this car and it THROWS you in the seat with each click of the paddle. The manual transmission in these cars was essentially an E39 transmission. It had slower acceleration and a dramatically reduced top speed.

My E60 M5 was extremely reliable. I did the rod bearing change myself at45K miles. The only issues I ever had were the steering angle sensor and the ionic control module for cylinder bank 2 ($97 on eBay). Of course if you look online, there are people that are going to voice their issues, just as we have issues with our M3's. They are not that bad of a car.

One of my fondest memories was killing my buddy's Gallardo in a drag race. I was once doing 145 with four people in the car and came up over a mountain highway only to see 6 bikers doing 125. We flew past them and the head turns and looks we got through their helmets was hilarious.

Probably the coolest most ridiculously designed cars ever and I can't wait to own another.
Pretty sure Doug, being Doug knew about the SMG, he just skipped over it. Think about it, he talks about a cars “quirks and features”.
Also, if I remember correctly, the 6 speed is the one in the 545i. Which is why it didn’t match up well to the S85, because the S85 and SMG were developed to go together, and the 6 speed manual was cobbled together for the US market. And since this doesn’t have the SMG gearbox, there is no real need to mention in detail the SMG.
I keep on rereading the bold part. And laughing at what Doug DeMuro had said about e60 owners talking about how they had to fix this and that and spend $ and now that there M5 is dialed in. And the fact many of these issues shouldn’t have been occurring so soon or at all. Had this V10 along with the SMG came from GM and put in say, the CTS-V or C6 Corvette Z06, people on this site would have been trashing GM products for being unreliable.

However, I do wish BMW had fixed the problems with the engine and created a twin turbo version.

Last edited by IS3andME; 12-09-2018 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 1