07-11-2022, 08:42 PM   #25
Coi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i, 07 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I think everyone is getting worked up because they read the work "subscription" without seeing what this means on certain models.

The way I'm reading this, is that cars like M550i or higher trims won't have to deal with it because most of this comes standard anyway. I think this will be more applicable for base trims. Instead of manufacturing a base model, BMW will just build all models with these features.

If you're one to buy base models of anything, this will benefit you because you weren't going to pay for the option or a package anyway and at least you can enjoy a feature for a few bucks one or twice instead of buying the option from factory and never using it.

I don't think this is meant to replace anything - BMW will still over premium packages that will give you the options but for everyone else, it sort of benefits them.
It will cost BMW extra to install the hardware for all these features on every car. Each "base model" they sell under this subscription model will be costing them hundreds if not thousands more than it did before. That means BMW will not only have to recoup these costs from us consumers but will be looking to make a profit too. They will probably have to raise prices as well as charging the subscriptions. This is a big deal.

Also it's easy to put $5000+ in options on an M550i that could all be put behind subscriptions. Driving Assistant Plus (adaptive cruise), head up display, heated steering wheel, ventilated seats, massage seats, heated rear seats, and Integral Active Steering (rear wheel steering) are all features they could lock you out of with software if they wanted to. If they were really evil they could even disable adaptive dampers or limit performance unless you subscribe.

Last edited by Coi; 07-11-2022 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0