Coi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i, 07 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
Silver lining here:

If the cars comes with the Active Cruise Control radar, heating coils, etc. and you just have to pay to enable them, over the air...
Assuming BMW doesn't discontinue connected drive on the vehicle you want leaving you permanently locked out of those features. They disabled all the connected services on my E9X 3 Series while I owned it and gave me a $200 gift card or something in return.

Quote:
That could mean that when you buy a clean, used example of whatever car/color you want, you can technically spec it out however you want, as opposed to playing the Goldilocks game of finding the perfect car with all the packages you wanted.

Owner didn't get ACC, ventilated seats, blind spot detection subscriptions when they bought/spec'd it? Doesn't matter, you're the owner now and can enable the features you want.
If the vehicle is off warranty you'd have no way of knowing if any of these features are even functional until you purchase them or start paying the subscription. They could all be broken and you wouldn't even know. So you'll have to buy them first and then pay for any necessary repairs.

Quote:
To be honest, even if this became a thing in the US, I'm sure most BMW buyers here would just pay the fee for "Lifetime" CarPlay, heated seats, adaptive cruise, etc. Just like they do now when building and ordering a car.
A huge number of BMWs are leased for 36 months and the 3 year subscription being priced just slightly below the "unlimited" is clearly to incentive people leasing new cars to subscribe. All of those off-lease cars will have their features disabled. Also if you're buying a car from a dealership and the previous owner bought "Lifetime" CarPlay and BMW just disables it anyway, how would you know? They could do that with every car that comes through the dealer.
Appreciate 0