View Single Post
      07-11-2022, 08:30 PM   #23
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

What point am I trying to make? Can't see how it's missed!

Let's see, how about a sneaker manufacturer charge you for each step you take! Charge more on a subscription basis because you actually run with the sneaker! Maybe cell phone manufacturers will charge per call, not your carrier, but the phone manufacturer! Or charge additional for being able to play music through it's speakers and not just voice calls! A LCD TV manufacturer charge you per view, again, not the cable service or provider, but the actual TV people. Or limit capability by subscription.

It's not a WIN for car owners, it's ridiculous! They want to make everything on their production line vanilla, ie, the same, ok. So the capability is already there in each vehicle as it streamlines and simplifies production in the fact that each car isn't different, but the same. What changes is what's used or utilized by the owner or occupants at the time. Ok, yeah, cool, sounds cool. But only if it's not your car that you've purchased! Might as well just lease every vehicle, and this business model makes sense. When I purchase it, it becomes my property, you don't retain any rights over it. And actually with the Advent of the "smart car" paradigm, there's been some big deals and fighting over who owns the "DATA" the vehicle is producing. Like your usage habits, travel, etc... All something nobody is talking about, which in my opinion is a serious invasion of privacy!

But back to the "subscription" model. Yeah it works for some, it works for businesses, it works for those who don't keep their cars and lease, and it works to make cars attractive at a seemingly lesser cost, but that's belongs in the same group of people financing a depreciating asset over 7 and some even 8 years now.

It's all moot in a way because the option to "buy" hasn't really been eliminated. For now...

I put this in the same class as those involved with the exterior design changes that emphatically deny is a detriment to the brand! They're too smart for themselves... But only the future will tell what's going to happen. I do believe some sales figures have already shown a downward trend...

Regards

Have a great day!
Appreciate 1