Thread: Omega vs Rolex
View Single Post
      06-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #39
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Interesting thread. A few things from my viewpoint. First the BMW that we bought/own is a terrible investment as a depreciating asset. A fine watch such as a Rolex is a much better use of money and is an alternative store of value, particularly if has some precious metal content. Over the years, you'll probably get the same/more than you paid for it, although it is unlikely you'll ever sell it and it probably won't keep up with inflation, but is much better than buying a car (aside from collectables). Same goes for other stores of values that you can also derive enjoyment from, i.e., wine, jewelry, diamonds, art, collectables. Also, watches have heirloom or sentimental value that goes beyond any price. For example, I'm highly likely to pass my Rolex down to my son and it will probably mean a lot to him at some point. Also, my wife has a matching Rolex (also will be passed to our daughter), so in a way is like a "wedding band" that ties us together. I asked her the other day if she wanted to upgrade and she replied that she is never getting rid of hers, because I surprised her with it, when we got our matching watches at the same time.

Bottom line is you should buy something that you enjoy and that works and only do so after you are in a financial position to do so. My Rolex has taken a huge beating and it literally keeps on ticking..I used to go through less expensive watches all the time and they would always crack, bands would break, the glass gets scratched, clamps have issues etc. There are definitely other well made watches that are of the same quality, so just depends on preference. Also, is nice to have a watch "for all occasions" (just like our M3s are cars for all occasions) and with a Rolex/comparable watch, you can wear it all the time, any occasion, looks great on special occasions etc. Yes its part of a brand thing, but we're all driving BMWs, so don't lie to yourself and say that brands don't mean something to you (quality, uniqueness, image, durability, flexibility, emotion, etc etc). Just that some people prefer cars, others prefer watches, others prefer wines, etc. Nothing wrong with enjoying luxury items, but make sure you/your loved ones are the one deriving the enjoyment from it. Ask yourself if no one knew you had a Rolex/Omega, etc, would you have a huge issue with that?
Appreciate 0