Thread: Omega vs Rolex
View Single Post
      06-15-2014, 12:56 AM   #24
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

I was never a watch guy but I am sort of catching the bug. I really do not like Rolex too much at all, and I'm sort of glad I don't. Whenever people get to the point where they can shop for a watch north of 5 grand that's the obvious choice that people flock to. Half would probably buy one just because of the name, even if they saw an AP, Jaeger or whatever that was 10 times nicer in design. Rolex will 9 times out of 10 hold its value well, that's something it has going for it.

Some might say if you are going to spend the money, it would be nice if the average person would recognize it on you. I get that, but I personally would never sport a brand just because of the label. (I'll defend my choice of a BMW if anybody really wants to hear it haha) When it comes to watches, to hell with what people recognize. I am going to pick up my first one soon, and probably 2nd soon thereafter. Out of the 3 most likely brands I'm considering; IWC, Jaeger, and Longines, Longines is the only one that a decent percentage of people might recognize. I give not a shit, I actually like the idea of knowing I have something of value that goes under the radar to the layman's eye. If you choose a beautiful design, people will notice. If they wanna ask, you get to drop the knowledge.
Appreciate 0