Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You guys are all so cultured.

Maybe it's cuz I'm in my mid-20s and am cheap as hell, but I just look at the drunkenness: price ratio. As long as I'm getting wasted I'm good.
My life lesson, from my own misspent youth:
Best bet for cheap-but-good is Bourbon. Even the cheapest of them has been aged in barrel (2 or 4 yrs, can't recall) and is basically a single-malt, no additives allowed. If you look a little, you can also find ones that are cheap, but older (4-6 years is the crucial duration to get most of the crap out). Just about anything else is 'blended' and has tons of raw grain alcohol in it, which is probably the worst (this includes those brand-name scotch blends like Chivas and JW, even if high-priced). Aging lets many of the toxins evaporate out, and those are what give you much of the hangover. As you step up to a better brand, they usually use less of the 'tailings' so even fewer toxins. This is why 'Scotch whisky' originally became so desirable - unlike city distilleries, they aged it in barrel and it was much kinder to the drinkers (and a whole lot better tasting).
Appreciate 0