View Single Post
      08-31-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I have a neighborhood friend in the Kansas City area that owns that is a co-owner of a general auto repair shop his dad started 30 years ago. They employee six techs and work on most anything other than European cars. They can do most work, but really don't engine tears downs beyond replacing a head or doing a crate/used motor swap. They are definitely not making huge bucks. My friend's income is around $80-90K/year. His dad's around $120K. It's hard work running your own shop plus employees.

I also know a renowned Miata tuner that's a one man shop and that shop is on his rural property. He makes very good money based on the home and shop he works in. He doesn't charge crazy rates either and has plenty of business.

Lastly, I have a friend that is a paintless dent removal (PDR) wizard. He's a one man shop and is bought into a PDR franchise. He has a work van where he travels to local dealers (most of his business). He then does work out of his newly built home with an eight car garage that has a used Honda Pilot, a supercharged 500whp S2000, a 1,000whp C5 Z06, and a 2017 Viper ACR. He's 35 and single.

Based on what I'm seeing, if you want to make bank, you need to be specialized and be a one man shop.