View Single Post
      03-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
CeeP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Silver e92 M3

I can't imagine it's much different than any other car. Get the car on jack stands, remove the wheels. Get yourself a length of clear plastic tubing (1/4", I think?) and an empty two liter soda bottle. Stick one end of the tube in the soda bottle, fill the bottle with fresh fluid enough to submerge the tube in fluid.

Remove the cap to the master cylinder, put some rags around it (brake fluid is nasty stuff). If you can, suck out as much of the old stuff as you can with a turkey baster, so you don't have to flush that fluid through. Fill with fresh fluid. Now the fun...

Start at the furthest wheel from the master cylinder. There will be a little nipple on the caliper with a small nut at the bottom (really, it should be the only nipple on the caliper at all). Cover with the unused end of the tubing. Get your wrench around the nut. Have a friend pump the brakes a couple times and hold the brake pedal down. Once your friend gets to the hold it down stage, open the nut and you'll see fluid coming out the nipple into the bottle. Close the nut, pump and hold brakes, open nut, repeat until fluid runs clean. While all this is going on, make sure your brake fluid reservoir is always topped up - you don't want air in the system. Once the new fluid is coming out, close the nut, move to the next furthest brake and repeat.

The hardest part for me has always been determining when the new fluid has made its way to the caliper. I guess my brake fluid has never been that dirty.

There are also one man bleeder systems out there that work on air pressure. I'm pretty sure there are also kits out there so you don't need to ghetto up a soda bottle, but sometimes the cheap way is just as effective.
Appreciate 0