View Single Post
      10-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Agreed to start slowly and work your way up. Even when you feel like you can handle a really long run (in relative terms) because your cardio has become good enough, it doesn't necessarily mean your legs can do it yet.

One thing I always tell people is to know the difference between muscle pains (which usually aren't a big deal) and joint / tendon pains (which are a big deal). Long story short is - if it hurts, don't go.

I have some really old New Balance shoes. There's an entire school of thought (one which makes some sense to me) that less is more. Big fat comfy gel blah blah shoes may absorb impact which sounds good but can cause everything to shift around on that impact, and your ankles and knees can be easily overworked. "Worn out" shoes, or things like the Vibram 5 fingers basically protect your skin on the bottom of your feet but that's about all, and that's all that is needed. Your foot, achilles tendon, and everything else are designed for you to be able to run and cushy shoes just hinder that. I'm not advising this, but it's food for thought. I have tried a few different running shoes over the years and always go back to my worn out NB's as the things that don't make me hurt.

Anyhow start slow and work your way up. You'll get there.
Appreciate 0