CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
With technology these days it is hard to disconnect, but you must. Just because people can call you doesn't mean they should call you. There are no longer any boundaries around work and off time. When does the work day end? I put an out of office message on my email stating I will be out until X date with limited access to vm and email. I will respond as soon as possible and give contact info should someone need immediate assistance. I still check my emails and my office voicemails show up in my email. I very rarely give my cell number to customers.

Working for someone is different, I'm sure. People are now expected to be available 24/7. I don't do that to my employees. We will have someone on call to deal with emergencies (perceived or real) and they can get to management if need be. I am a firm believer in respecting someone's off time unless absolutely necessary.
Are you hiring?

I notice I'm actually becoming like my father. He is very passionate about his job, and it leads to frustration with the system and lots of stress over things that are out of his control. I've watched him get migraines so bad that he ended up in the hospital from blacking out.

I think my good work ethic and caring about what happens is also my downfall. I've been with my current company three years, and I came in wanting to work hard, learn all I can, and make a good impression. The bad part is that now all the extra stuff I do has become expected. About a month ago I hurt my back and was couch bound for 3 days. My boss told me to take sick time so I could recover, yet my phone didn't stop ringing for each of those 3 days.

I also run a business on the side, so when I'm not working I'm pretty much still working.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13154.00
cmyx6go15756.50
Rmtt8211.00