View Single Post
      05-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #74
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
I'm 43, never been married, no children. I'm not happy about either. I'd like to do something about the former ASAP, haven't given up on the latter.
Read the book The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck.

Look at at this way. If you had been married, odds are you would be divorced. If you were married and had children, odds are you would be divorced and the children would be doing the divided home bit, you would be paying child support, dealing with the court system, fighting with the ex-wife over parenting B.S. all while creating a strained relationship that you don't want with your kids.

Although you may not have what you want, you fail to realize the reality of what children and marriage actually results in.

Passage from the book I mentioned above.

"The desire for more positive experience is itself a negative experience. And, paradoxically, the acceptance of one's negative experience is itself a positive experience."

Just a heads up, having children is not at all what you expect it to be. You only have a few good years with them. Once they begin interacting with other children, they are no longer what you have tried to raise as they incorporate the other personalities and habits of others that they pick up. It's a continual battle of unconditional love, learning, acceptance, teaching, frustration and when it's (not) over (because it will never be "over") you end up being resented, taken advantage of, lied to and treated as if you are the enemy; all for loving something with every ounce of your being. I love my boys more than life itself, but I honestly will say that if it were a business decision, none of us would have kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Watched my dad do this. There is more to life than work... At some point the work comes to an end, age, whatever, then you have no hobbies, nothing to keep you active because all you know is work. Not going to be me!
Same with my father. I said the same thing you stated above. I'm 42 now and never sit still. With each passing year, I find less time for personal enjoyment and keep finding more work to do.
Appreciate 5