View Single Post
      03-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #17
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
USB spec is 500mA @ 5 volts = 2.5 watts (or better), which not all devices meet but most exceed. It takes between 2 and 6 watts to power a 2.5" drive/enclosure, most of them are around 3.

So that is a roundabout way of saying I agree with you, it would be nice to see what the port actually outputs. I would expect over 5 watts.

Here's power consumtion for a bunch of 2.5" drives:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/...r_requirements
Great link, but all of those are internal HDs I think, and are not USB powered. I believe the WD HDs like larryn's are 5 watts, I found a spec sheet and posted it in another thread...where will the power adapter plug into? the cig lighter? The power adapter for the WD HD I saw was basically a USB Y cable...I hope I can find ~100 GB USB HD that works, would be easier than an ipod. I did some more research, and found this Buffalo MiniStation TurboUSB HD, it says it ranges from 120 -500GB and uses 2.5W MAX power (DC5V provided through the USB). This looks like the best chance to have a USB HD w/o extra power adapters. Has anyone found an external HD that would work with the car radio usb with out a power adapter?
Appreciate 0