View Single Post
      10-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #41
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Good (and accurate) observations, but sorry you had to get it first hand; Good call to put the responders onto this, as it is often missed when there isn't obvious carnage. Post traumatic reactions are highly idiosyncratic, and it is actually typical to have variable effects among similar situations (same trauma happens to a group, and they will all have a wide range of reactions). Often the surprise, or a misplaced sense of security, is a major factor in creating lasting effects; but not from just firing an AR-15 or watching a scary movie. The driver's shock is also quite common, perhaps a little exaggerated for this guy, but there is an emotional reaction to harming others that is often 'irrational' - I work with soldiers who are still torn up about killing people that were actively trying to kill them at the time - you know it was the right thing to do (or that you were not at fault, etc), but that doesn't make it feel right. This is actually a major foundation of my spirituality; despite my strong cynicism about my fellow man, this seems to be a good candidate for that 'essentially good' core, or at least that there is some heart inside most everybody.
Appreciate 1
Lups11824.50