02-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #62
catpat8000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
If you wish to go to 240vac charging in the USA, you'll need a level 2 charger instead of just a 240vac receptacle, or have to custom build a cable, that may not be all that easy. The plug used (and supplied as part of the car in Europe) works off their local mains, but two things are different: Europe has chosen a different style plug for the vehicle end, and depending on the country, has a different style plug on the receptacle end as well. I think I've seen some converter plugs, but the combination of the Euro spec cable and the converter would likely be in the $1k range...for about that, you could get a level 2 charger installed, which is just plug and play.

I wonder if my local dealer will be putting in a DCFC point? They're only 1/4-mile away, worthwhile, especially if it ends up being free! I could catch up on e-mail from their hotspot while charging.
I admit your post has confused me. My wife has put down a deposit on this car and it's the first time she's willing to go beyond Honda so we're both excited about it

But the BMW dealer we're dealing with was very clear that we will want to purchase a 240vac charging station and have an electrician install it. They seemed to think this was no big deal. I think it is critically important. There is no way we could use this car if it takes 18 hours for a full charge.

Are you suggesting that 240vac charging will be problematic for these cars?

Pat

Edit: I may have mis-read your post as saying 240vac charging was not easy but I see you were referring to a custom cable, I think.

Last edited by catpat8000; 02-18-2014 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0