View Single Post
      04-18-2021, 09:07 AM   #2345
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
The very first BMWs used by Metro were equipped with Nivomat rear shocks and despite their ability to self level, some of your officers plus their hardware were too heavy and the bike would bottom often and the piston inside the shock would eventually collapse. The BMWs are a lot faster and nimble especially in tight alleyways or pursuit. The new Rts have a beefy dial on the fly rear monoshock. Some of you guys just needed to lose weight. hi hi...
I was never a traffic man (we have a saying about them), but a number of my friends were. It had nothing to do with the shocks or bottoming out. Generally, they found the Harley's more comfortable in traffic, Toronto is a big city with lots of it. So sitting idling was more comfortable with the lower riding position. The notion of using a motorcycle in a pursuit really doesn't factor in because they are rare and frankly discouraged. Too many coppers have been killed on motorcycles. As far as "nimble" goes, I would put some of my friends on the precision team against just about anyone riding anything. I know the BMW is faster, and some of the guys liked that but it really isn't a factor in the city as much as it is on the highway. Hell, ever the OPP and just about every other police service in Ontario who has motorcycles still use Harley's. http://tpsnews.ca/blogs/2014/09/to-tops-two-wheels/
Appreciate 2
Lady Jane70650.50
mahalom3163.00