United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

I left the house about 8am this morning. I pull up to house 4 hours later and my garage door is open. I did not leave thru garage, car was parked on pad. Nothing in garage seemed disturbed. Door between garage and house is always locked. Alarm was on and did not go off. My sister says no big deal. Someone on block probably has garage door opener on same frequency. I don’t buy it. I’m here 6 months, if that was the case, it would have already happened. Not happy. I’m thinking someone is cruising neighborhood and seeing who is on same frequency.
Sometimes I really hate living alone.
You can change your garage door opener code pretty easily, but I'm not sure that will help. Unless someone just got lucky trying random codes, changing the code won't do much. Making a code generator that cycles through all of the codes is easy.

If you want to "harden" your house, you can do that by making your house look less inviting and making the neighbors houses look more inviting. Alarm company signs and stickers that are visible at every entrance is a good start. I'm sure there are more secure garage door openers available, but that could get expensive. Park your BMW in the garage out of sight. Park any expensive car out of sight; don't show what you have. Motion detector lights, cameras (or even fake cameras), leaving lights on, leaving the radio or TV on will all help to some degree.

Really though, it was probable a one-off incident/accident. Maybe you somehow bumped the opener button. Maybe some wayward radio signal triggered your garage.

In this case: One time is an accident, twice is enemy action. There won't be a third time.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25040.00
Murf99314114.00
cmyx6go15696.50