02-18-2021, 05:06 PM   #18
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
That has to be some serious mismanagement for them to have spent years and millions developing this new EV XJ only to cancel the project.

Jaguar has been an irrelevant company for the better part of 30 years. Hearing of ICE cars getting killed off saddens me, but maybe this is what Jaguar needs in order to reinvent themselves into a relevant automaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I think what doomed it is that it was not a dedicated EV, but instead relied upon a combined ICE/PHEV/BEV strategy (similar, incidentally, to what BMW intends to do). Since they've now decided that their business will be better served by exiting the ICE market in 2025, it did not make sense to release new ICE products in 2021 resulting in what would be much shorter lifespans than the business case originally planned for. In other words, the economics of the vehicle program fell apart.

This is not the last time we'll see this kind of "Oh shit! We mis-steered the ship!" reaction in the coming decade. Disruption is a ruthless foe. JLR is not out of the woods yet, but they've probably given themselves a fighting chance. Other lower volume players may need to make similar moves, and/or consider mergers.
It was killed for a mix of old platform, at capacity for facility that builds those platforms, can't build at other facilities, etc.. Here's the article that explains it pretty well; https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-...e-last-minute/
Appreciate 0