View Single Post
      08-20-2018, 02:19 PM   #26
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
But Seiko and Citizen use in-house movements (some excellent ones in the case of Grand Seiko), and the barrier of entry isn't set all that high with those brands. Or are we only talking about European watchmakers and their special "Swiss Made" pixie dust? Even there, I believe Oris and Alpina/FC (among others) have reasonably priced pieces with in-house calibers.
Some of the Grand Seikos stack up against world class watches, without question, even without the perceived panache that the Swiss houses have.

The Seiko/Citizen movements will never be mentioned even against other "workhorse" in-house movements like the Rolex 3135, whether or not that is fair is for others to decide.

My point being that a lot of folks don't view Swiss luxury brands that don't use their own movements as the equal to others that use their own calibers, no matter how nice the rose gold case is or how finely that ETA movement was decorated by SOPROD.

Panerai owners view brands like Breitling as lesser. Rolex owners view brands like Panerai as lesser. AP and JLC owners view brands like Rolex as lesser. Patek and Vacheron owners view brands like AP and JLC as lesser.

It is a fairly pervasive opinion that you'll never be seen at a tier equal to Rolex or above if you're not using your own movements in the majority of your pieces. Panerai is aiming more for AP territory than Omega territory, you know?

Mind you this isn't MY opinion, but it is an opinion that is held by many watch lovers around the world.
Appreciate 1