View Single Post
      08-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #80
jmhumr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I would recommend the RDX, only reliability issues I've heard of are the tech which are most likely already fixed/updated. The touchpad while not the most intuituve can most likely be adapted to, otherwise a very nice car, good driving dynamics and powertrain, fairly practical, and a very nice interior.
Yeah I can't wait to test drive one. I hope the reliability is just infotainment related, but I've also read that Honda's transmissions aren't as reliable as they used to be and that the new RDX is not immune to the CRV's now-infamous oil-fuel dilution problem. Combined with the fact that Honda keeps dropping to the middle of the pack in just about every reliability ranking, I find no comfort in the Honda/Acura badge these days. They're not bad by any means, but they used to make cars that you wouldn't even consider needing an extended warranty for.

Quote:
Love the seats and interior, however the all touchscreen system is slow on boot-up and houses all the HVAC controls would be a big turn off. Volvo reliability is also questionable with the new engines using both turbo's and superchargers. Also surprisingly for how boring Volvo's are they for some reason have very stiff suspensions.
I agree having all controls on a touchscreen is a bad idea, but I've read the 2019-2020's have faster processors to fix the lag and wouldn't let that be a deal-breaker. As for reliability, only the T6 and T8's have turbo and superchargers. The T5 only has a turbocharger and I found it very peppy on the test drive. From my buyer's research, I'd consider Volvo as industry average in terms of reliability, with repair/maintenance costs that sit right between mainstream brands and BMW/Audi.

Quote:
The looks have actually aged well, but I'd never buy a new car that shares its platform with a 20-year old Mercedes ML, and FCA reliability is questionable at best.
100% agree on everything you said here. I'm curious what the 2021's will look like. I've heard it'll get bigger which is a deal-breaker for me. I'm not interested in 195-205" class of SUVs. Too much car considering I'm the only passenger 95% of the time.

Quote:
Not bad, I assume you're referring to the new 2021 updates, new Kia's are very class competitive and worth a look if you ask me. The new Santa Fe (the equivalent Hyundai) is also very nice and a good value.
Yeah, and I see the Santa Fe is getting a rather unique LCI in 2021. I'm curious to see how both of these cars look and feel in person.

Quote:
I wouldn't reccomend the Edge. Nothing really all that wrong with it and one of the more reliable Ford's out there, but the driving position is extremely terrible. Seating is way too high, and due to the cab forward design and short hood, the dash is the size of a football field with terrible blind spots and a thick a-pillars, it just feels extremely awkward to sit in.
Good to know. I felt that way about the previous-gen Santa Fe when we were shopping for my wife a few years back.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00