View Single Post
      03-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Tag Steps Up Their Game

So, I've made no secret of the fact that while I do like Tag watches and own two of them, I don't generally have much cause to recommend them. I outlined the reasons why here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=6 .

Now, I never had an issue with their performance or quality. It's really just a matter that they have always struck me as a horological equivalent of a modestly upscale chain restaurant. It's sort of like the difference, at least in D.C., between, say, something between the likes of the Legal Seafood and McCormick & Schmick chains and Pesce (or Kinkead's before it closed), which is an independent and very good seafood place that's been so for some 20+ years. While each restaurant does great food, Pesce offers stuff that's unique and original, rather than playing it safe and offering stuff that's sure not to push anyone's envelope. None are quite what one would find prepared on say Top Chef or Iron Chef America, but Pesce is just a touch closer because it displays freedom and innovation in its preparations.

Well, my opinion of Tag may be changing in at least one regard. It seems they are stepping up their game and I think that's a good thing. Continuing my analogy above, I'd say they are stepping into Pesce territory. You see for yourself, be you a Tag devotee or not.
So after buying the rights to other folks excellent movements -- Zenith's and Seiko's -- and riding on that for some time, Tag is finally "doin' they own thang." I realize it's just the guts, but still, that's a good start. Concurrently with putting out their own movements, it's looking like their watches are also starting to show some distinctive flair. That's wonderful too.

I think Tag is finally getting serious about being a leader in the middle market rather than just a brand that is good enough to garner a lot of mass appeal, but that otherwise was distinguished only by the fact that their products were reliable, but also reliably bland and inoffensive.

Kudos to Tag.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0