View Single Post
      07-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #270
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Some of what you describe is what’s known as a niche market, does a Rolex tell time better than my garmin watch? No. People pay for the status symbol and they don’t have to worry much about competitors. In non-niche markets, someone will always come along that can do what you do, but better, cheaper, faster, more efficiently and so on. This is why business is hard. A lot more businesses “think” they have a niche market when in fact they are do not and when they go out of business they’ll blame everyone but themselves. Business is continually improving, seeking new markets, etc. The ashes of the failed businesses hopefully get consolidated into something new and successful.
My point was it costs money to make "quality" whether it is a watch, a car, a suit or some other products. My post was a response to the other post who was saying high end cars are overpriced for no good reason. I argue that the reason cars like 911, Ferrari and so on cost a lot of money because they have more rigorous engineering and manufacturing process and those things cost a lot more money. They can charge more money because their products are worth the price and obviously people are willing to pay for them.

For example, the Mustang GT although very fast but the panel gaps are so apparent that you don't see it in German cars. A lot of the Mustang suspension components use stamped steel and they flex under acceleration instead of for example aluminum or using more expensive manufacturing process.

Speed should not be mistaken for quality.
Appreciate 0