09-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #36
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
I'm all for FI. I drive an NA X5 now and if someone showed up to my house with a FI 911 Turbo(S) or GT2(RS) I would punch them in the face and steal their car without hesitation.
What nonesense. Comparing a SUV with a sportscar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I've driven the 997.2 turbo S... didn't feel turbo lag or any issues with throttle response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
+1...Everyones all like "boo turbo lag" without ever actually driving a modern turbo'd car. This isn't a Saab 95.
You are saying 911 Turbo is as responsive as 911 GT3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
turbo > non-turbo

i will take the adrenaline rush of BOOST in trade for a bit of turbo lag. No N/A engine can provide the thrill of boost! TURBO FOREVER!
And no turbo can provide the sound and throttle response of H/R NA engines, while staying street legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Ferrari will do it correctly. They will use a flat plane crank along with forced induction. This will allow them to get high revs with their switch over to FI.

Flat plane crank is what allows the MP4-12c to rev to 8,500.

Otherwise I much prefer NA. I would take GT3 over Turbo, Boss 302 over GT500, Z06 over ZR1, etc... Now if BMW would just offer a NA track focused M4.
How does S65 rev up to 8,400 RPM from factory without flat plane crank? It has quite little to do with the crank type.

I don't doubt the Ferrari's engine will be nice, but if they are not able to make it better than NA engines, they will not build FI engines. THe thing is they have been working on new FI engines for some years already, with the first ones found in the new Maserati Quattroporte (3.8l V8) and Ghibli (3.0l V6). They sound very good. Not to compare with normal turbo engines just as you can't compare normal naturally aspirtated engine with those of high-performance cars.

The worst thing of FI engines is not lag or sound thought, but running out of boost at high RPM. I'm sure Ferrari won't have this issue.
Appreciate 0