View Single Post
      04-09-2024, 02:56 PM   #20
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Quite the opposite. The Michelins offer great handling but the slightly softer sidewall means they have fantastic ride quality for a summer tyre. They are also quite, track well and do really well in the wet. Truth be told the weakness of the 997 platform is harsh ride on imperfect roads and the PS4s really help without losing fell on a good road.
I would second this. I used all brands of tires throughout the past 30+ years, both cheap and expensive tires, and I've learned that you really do get what you pay for. I am a HUGE fan of Michelins ever since first experiencing the Pilot Super Sports that came stock on my M235. Since then, my M235 and now 2011 Cayman, only run Michelins, PS4s and Pilot All Season 4s (PAS4s), respectively (M235 runs PS4s in the summer and PAS4s in the winter). I am absolutely blown away by the performance of the PAS4s. Excellent performance in the PS4 is a given.

Michelins are definitely expensive, but they ride and grip so well, are quiet, and wear uniformly. The PAS4s don't wear extremely fast either. The PS4s do wear fairly fast (20k-ish out of a set).

The worst tires I've had are most anything from Bridgestone or Pirelli. Continentals are pretty good. Goodyear, BFG, and Nitto can be hit or miss and those brands all get REALLY loud when they get close to the wear bars.

The worst tire I've ever experienced is the Pirelli PZero that came on my Cayman that were installed right before I got the car. Absolutely the worst performance tire made by mankind. If you want the fast wearing, harshest riding, loudest, causes chassis and clutch pedal vibrations you swear was a failing dual mass flywheel or wheel bearing, and ill-handling performance tire, this is the tire you want.