View Single Post
      03-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #1276
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Is a smoker really worth buying? I want to make amazing brisket and ribs at home... and if I do buy a smoker - do the electric ones work as well as the traditional kind?

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
I would highly recommend something like a big green egg or komando Joe. You can smoke low and slow or kick it up to 800 degrees for searing steak, it just takes a little practice. If you already have a decent grill, Traegers are great smokers but they are kinda cheating. Haha.
Smokers are great. I have not used a ceramic cooker (egge/joe) but I have had some very tasty bbq out of them.

I have used a vertical water smoker (stainless steel cabinet, burner at the bottom, cast iron smoke box, water bowl) and I have two treagers.

Pellet cookers are 'cheating' a little bit, and I do believe you leave a little bit of 'quality of the cook' on the table. If you learn how to use your pellet cooker you will get 90% of the quality for about 60% of the work.

If you are new to bbq I would highly recommend a treager, you get to all but eliminate the temperature variable and get good product the first time and every time. The better your results the more you will enjoy it, and you get to work on your recipes.

I would like to get (or make) an offset stick burner next, but I am very happy with the experience I have had using my treagers.

BTW, you can make excellent pizza on a treager, it takes a bit longer.
Appreciate 1