View Single Post
      08-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

BMW i3 review update

I borrowed an i3 REx for 4 days, and therefore had the opportunity to test it very extensively. I will not repeat my comments from the initial post in this thread, but will add my further thoughts.

The i3 was a relaxing car, with great ride quality and impeccable road manners and handling. Being rear wheel drive, lightweight, 50:50 weight distribution and with an extremely low centre of gravity does that for a car

Torque and acceleration are instant and constant. It moves off so quickly that very few cars will beat it in the Traffic Lights GP IIRC BMW state it accelerates faster 0-30mph than the M5.

In fact, if it had wide tyres and bigger brakes, it would be a very capable little sports car.

It corners fairly flatly, thanks no doubt to its extremely low centre of gravity. It understeers easily when pushed, and the narrow tyres do limit how strong the braking is. Throttle response is excellent, and feels scalpel precise.

It is by far the best super-mini class car I have driven, and a complete pleasure to be behind the wheel of.

The loaned car was full of gadgets. Too many to list, but the auto park deserves a mention. It was scary sitting there as the i3 parallel parked itself in very tight spaces, but strangely fascinating.

I also tested the voice recognition, but that was absolutely terrible. The built in concierge service was good though.

My family found that we could in fact manage with the small boot space. Interior occupant space is of course excellent, and the car feels much bigger inside than it looks on the outside - tardis-like in fact Sadly without the tardis sound effects though

I range tested the car on a long trip, driving it fairly hard and not at all economically. It had 4 occupants and air conditioning running. This was the heavier (REx) variant and I calculated that it would do at least 79 miles under those conditions. The lighter i3 (BEV) would manage more. This is sufficient for me.

I remain amazed that a car in this bracket has an aluminium chassis with carbon fibre body, and composite body panels. Astonishing!

After 4 days, I really begrudged having to return the i3 and driving my Landcruiser home. So I ordered a new i3 for my wife
Appreciate 0