10-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #44
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBiker View Post
Bout 15 years ago I had that problem. Late at night I put a letter in their mailbox saying if this disturbing the peace continues, the cops will be called. No name, no indication of who wrote it.

The next day, after they were at it 15 to 20 minutes, I called the cops. They next day someone else called. The day after another called. In a short period of time ..... they stopped yelling outside.

I asked the cops, and they said I can request my name not be mentioned, and it wasn't. Ask, it could be the same at your place.

Disturbing the peace has no established hours.
It can. It depends on city [noise] ordinances. While there's no specificity in the California Penal Code, most cities have some sort of noise ordinance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We could go the public intoxication route, but they would need to be on their lawn/outdoors AND intoxicated to such a degree that they can't exercise care or concern for their own safety or the safety of others (...e.g...piss poor drunk, stumbling, etc.). This wouldn't apply to the person who had a few drinks. Additionally, I/we would have a hard time justifying arresting somebody on their lawn or front porch even if they were intoxicated, especially because they can walk 10 ft. and be inside of their home.

You can call. It's what we're paid to investigate, even if it's stupid relationship drama.

Most cities have quiet hours; usually after 10pm. Even then it's just a citation. Nobody is going to jail over loud noise.
I would think a citation would at least have some probable impact for them to knock it off if they're violating quiet hours. Also wouldn't a disturbing the peace be another violation that could be leveraged if they're doing it during non quiet hours?
There's a component of 415 PC that references willful disturbance, BUT it has to be malicious in nature. Two people arguing does not satisfy that component of the statute.
Appreciate 0