View Single Post
      05-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Life insurance proceeds are paid directly to the beneficiaries and are tax free. The remainder of your estate may or may not go through probate depending on how it is structured...

A life insurance policy is paid upon proof of death. It is a black or white answer, just like you're not "kind of pregnant". Coma/life support is not death. Pull the plug and die, policy pays out... If you want something to cover coma type situations you will need long term care/disability insurance. Health insurance will cover most medical costs but provide no payments to family. If you are the sole provider, the loss of your income will be covered by disability. Bottom line, talk to an agent who knows what they are doing. You have access to USAA so start there and talk the them about your needs...

Edit: and I would think long and hard about a 30 year term policy. But again without more information on your situations/needs, it is hard to say. I got a 20 year policy years ago, that was enough to get the kids through college. Once they are on their own, I have no need for life insurance so why keep paying the premium... But that's my personal view/situation.

Last edited by kscarrol; 05-18-2015 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0