04-07-2021, 07:58 AM   #13
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It's almost the same argument for leasing overall. Low upfront cost and easy exit. You end up paying more for the luxury of a more expensive car and the ability to get out of it easily. In this case though, you are in a 2 year old car. This is why I would only take over a lease with an incredibly low payment that was negotiated well, had plenty of incentives, and has excess miles that I can put on it ie it was a 10k/yr lease and they only drove it 7k/yr which leaves a lot of utility left for the remaining year. Essentially, you would be getting a 15k/yr lease for the price of a 10k/yr lease.

In the end though, used is pretty much the better deal in most cases.
I think leasing makes a lot of sense for the person that wants a new car every 3 years, I don't see leasing a used car for a year, especially with the hassles that come with it. I agree negotiated well or excess miles makes it better.

Buy the 2 year old car and then keep it for 6 months or 18 months with far less hassles, mileage doesn't matter and nobody is doing a return inspection on wear caused by someone else.

EDIT- thinking about this further, maybe there are leases where people have a large down payment and took more of the hit, making the monthly payment low enough to make sense?

Last edited by David70; 04-07-2021 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0