R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I continue to be in the camp that says the new regs are impossible to meet, ICE will be around for a LONG time. 5 years ago I predicted a roughly equal market share between electric, hybrid and ICE in physically large western countries and I stand by that.

In saying that, the rot has already started, so many new cars are turbo charged, i understand the desire to meet false emissions targets (turbo charged cars effectively cheat on their test cycle) and the desire for huge torque numbers but the lag and lack of theatre has drained the soul from many sporty orientated cars.

I have a deposit down on a 997.2, final inspection this weekend. Hydraulic steering, naturally aspirated, wants to be revved to make power, not the greatest NVH....... seems to fit the bill for what ails us.
I agree that ICE cars will be around but not high performance ones. Look at even Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus - they all have hybrid or EVs planned for next gen cars. New M5 will be hybrid etc.

Once you commit to this and allocate funds - its not easy to go back to pure ICE.

Also even the current gen cars all have dumb things like rev limiters, particulate filters, muted exhausts etc. I just don’t see much promise of ICE cars sticking around when most manufacturers announced next gen cars that are EVs or Hybrid.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50